Fifth Sunday of Easter - Year B



Fifth Sunday of Easter

May 3, 2015

 

Gospel  (Jn 15:1-8)

Jesus said to his disciples: “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower. He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and every one that does he prunes (1) so that it bears more fruit. You are already pruned because of the word that I spoke to you. Remain (2) in me, as I remain in you. Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me will be thrown out like a branch and wither; people will gather them and throw them into a fire and they will be burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. By this is my Father glorified (3), that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.”

The difficult words

(1)  To prune is to cut back branches so that a tree or plant grows faster and produces more fruit.
(2)  To remain means to stay.
(3)  To be glorified is to be given honor, praise, and splendor.


This week’s spotlight

Saint John’s letters

John wrote one of the Gospels and possibly the Book of Revelation (the last book of the Bible). We also think he (or one of his disciples) wrote three letters. These letters were written for believers living in that part of the world which is now called Greece, Turkey, and Syria. John, who knew Jesus, reminds them that followers of Jesus must live by the law of love. Doing so brings them into a new relationship with God - the covenant. It is up to each person to engrave this law of love on his or her heart.

The blood of Christ

During the offertory, before he consecrates the bread and wine, the priest takes the chalice into which he or the deacon has poured wine and a little water. He raises the chalice up to God and asks that we may be united with Christ in the same way the water blends with the wine. We believe that God sends his Holy Spirit upon this offering so that the wine truly becomes the blood of Christ. The body and blood of Jesus is fully present in both the consecrated bread and the wine. Even if we only receive the host at communion, we still receive both Christ's body and blood, and share in his death and resurrection.


Reflection

My friend Jesus

During his life on earth, Jesus chose the disciples he would live with. As the months went on, they became friends. But today, how can one be friends with Jesus when he is in heaven? To build a friendship with Jesus, there are many things you can do. One way to get close to him is by reading and listening to the Gospel. This is where Jesus tells us so many things about his life and his love for all people. In the Gospels, you can get to know Jesus in the same way that you make a new friend, and ask many questions about his or her life. However, some things in the Gospel are difficult to understand. God himself helps us understand when we ask priests or catechism teachers our questions. The more effort we make, the more the Gospel becomes clear and simple. The words of Jesus in the Gospels nourish our spirits just like food nourishes our bodies. His word gives us strength to live like Christ. Living in Jesus means telling him: Lord, I want to live and to love just like you lived and loved! I want to do this for me, but even more, I want to do it for you and for others!

Discussion questions
1.According to the Gospel, who is the true vine?
2.Who is the vine grower?
3.Who is the branch?
4.Why does the branch need to remain in the vine?
5.What happens to the branch that not remains in the vine?
6.What are the rewards for those who remain in Jesus?
7.What do you think is the best way to stay connected to God?


Praying after Communion

After receiving Holy Communion, you can say this prayer silently to yourself. If you have not yet received your First Communion, you can still say this prayer because of your desire to receive Jesus.

Father, through Jesus, in communion with the whole Church, I thank you for coming into my heart. You have nourished me with the body and blood of your Son, Jesus. Help me to live out this communion with Jesus by loving others as he did. Help all people to believe in you and to live by your law of love.

Crossword Puzzle




Source: http://www.usccb.org -  Magnifikid -  www.sermons4kids.com