Fourth Sunday of Easter - Year B



Fourth Sunday of Easter
Apr 26, 2015

 

Gospel (Jn 10:11-18)

Jesus said: “I am the good shepherd. A good shepherd (1) lays down his life for the sheep. A hired man (2), who is not a shepherd and whose sheep are not his own, sees a wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away, and the wolf catches and scatters them. This is because he works for pay and has no concern for the sheep. I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I will lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice, and there will be one flock, one shepherd. This is why the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own. I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again. This command I have received from my Father.”

The difficult words

(1)  A shepherd is someone in charge of caring for sheep.

(2)  A hired man is someone who works for pay.

This week’s spotlight

Vocations Sunday

This Sunday, we pray for vocations to the priesthood and the religious life. We pray that men and women all over the world will hear the call of God to serve their brothers and sisters by becoming priests, monks, or nuns. You can join in the Church’s prayer by asking that people hear God’s call to become priests (those who will give us the sacraments) or religious sisters and brothers who will serve the poor and the rest of the world through their actions and prayers.

The Pope, bishops, priests, and deacons

The Lord calls certain men to serve him and all of our brothers and sisters by announcing the Good News and celebrating the sacraments. In order to do this, these men receive the sacrament of Holy Orders and become deacons, then priests, and sometimes bishops. Bishops are the successors of the apostles; they are responsible, under the Pope, for a geographic area called a diocese. They must govern, teach, and love their people, like a shepherd cares for his flock. We pray for our bishop at each Mass, asking God to help him in this important task. He is our shepherd, assisted by priests and deacons. It is the Pope, the bishop of Rome, who names all the bishops.

Reflection

The good shepherd

In this Sunday's Gospel, Jesus tells us that he is the good shepherd. Have you ever seen a shepherd taking care of his sheep? He knows each one of his animals. He knows what they need and he guides them to the best pastures. Whether he’s walking in front of them or behind them, he’s always watching over his sheep. If they are ever in danger, he defends them at any cost.
He would even take care of a sheep from a neighboring flock if it were in danger. A good shepherd would never abandon any of his sheep. Jesus is this good shepherd for each one of us. In making this comparison, Jesus is showing the kind of love he has for us. Jesus knows you and loves you. That is why he guides you toward God the Father. He wants what is best for you. Jesus not only guides you through his word but also through the people who help you understand it: your parents, your godfather and godmother, your catechism teachers, priests... Are you willing to let yourself be guided by Jesus?

Discussion questions
1.Who is the good shepherd?
2.What does the shepherd do for his sheep?
3.Who is the hired man?
4.What does the hired man do when his sheep is in danger?
5.How many flocks and shepherds will there be?
6.What power does the good shepherd have?
7.Whom does Jesus receive the command from?
8.As a sheep in the flock of God, what should we do?

Praying after Communion

After receiving Holy Communion, you can say this prayer silently to yourself. If you have not yet received your First Communion, you can still say this prayer because of your desire to receive Jesus.

Father, through Jesus, in communion with the whole Church, I thank you for coming into my heart. You have given us your Son Jesus to be our guide and our shepherd. He gave his life for us. May this communion with his body and his blood help us to follow him joyfully toward you throughout the week.

Crossword Puzzle

Unscramble the words




Source: http://www.usccb.org -  Magnifikid - www.sermons4kids.com