Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ - Year A



Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ - Year A

June 18, 2017

 

Gospel: Jn 6:51-58

Jesus said to the Jewish crowds: "I am the living bread that came down from heaven;
whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world."
The Jews quarreled (1) among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?" Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man (2) and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains (3) in me and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me.
This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever."

http://www.usccb.org

The difficult words

(1)To quarrel means to argue.
(2)The Son of Man is another name for the Messiah, Jesus.
(3)To remain means to stay.

This week’s spotlight

The Blessed Sacrament

We call the Eucharist "the Blessed Sacrament" because it is the real presence of Jesus among us under the appearance of bread and wine. Today's feast celebrates the gift of this sacrament, the Body and Blood of Christ. We believe that the Blessed  Sacrament is not an object or a thing, but a person. Jesus is truly there, even if we cannot see him in human form. Through the Eucharist, Jesus continues to give us his life and love.

The Consecration

The consecration of the Mass is the special moment during the Eucharistic Prayer when the Priest prays the words of Jesus at the Last Supper. During the consecration, the Priest lifts up, in turn, both the host and chalice. This gesture is to show God's people that the bread and wine have been changed into Christ’s Body and Blood.

Reflection

I’m hungry

One of my friends, a Bishop, says a lovely prayer of blessing before meals. He says: "Lord, give bread to those who are hungry and hunger to those who have bread.” Having a plate full of food to eat is not enough! When our stomachs are full, we hunger for something else - for happiness, for love, for God. Look at Jesus in the Gospel. He has just finished feeding the crowd with bread and fish. Still, he knows that the people are hungering for something more. So, Jesus tells them that he is the bread that will satisfy that deep hunger of the heart. Yes, Jesus is the true food from heaven that strengthens us to love, and to live together in peace. The Body and Blood of Christ, which we receive in Holy Communion, is this food of eternal life. On this feast of Corpus Christi, let’s pray from our hearts:“Lord, give us hunger for you.”

Discussion questions

1.What does Jesus tell his followers about bread from heaven?
2.What will happen to those who eat the bread from heaven?
3.What does Jesus say about his flesh and blood?


After receiving Holy Communion, you can say this prayer silently to yourself. If you have not yet received your First Communion, you can still say this prayer because of your desire to receive Jesus.

Father, through Jesus, in communion with the whole Church, I thank you for coming into my heart. I am filled with joy and wonder on this feast of your Son’s Body and Blood! May this Eucharist increase my faith, hope, and love.

This week…

Work up an appetite for Jesus

This week, say this short prayer before meals with your family (or to yourself if you're alone): "Lord, give bread to those who are hungry, and hunger to those who have bread. Lord, give us hunger for you."

Love as Jesus does

Each day of this week, try to radiate the joy and peace of the Blessed Sacrament. Be attentive to the people you meet, and try to show them your joy and peace in just the right way. It doesn't have to be complicated! It can be as simple as a smile, a wave, or listening attentively to what others are saying.

Puzzle




Source: usccb.org -  Magnifikid - sermons4kids.comrclblectionary.com –usccb.org/bible/readings-audio.cfm