Sixth Sunday of Easter - Year C



May 1, 2016

 

Gospel: Jn 14:23-29

Jesus said to his disciples: “Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; yet the word you hear is not mine but that of the Father who sent me.

“I have told you this while I am with you. The Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and remind you of all that I told you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid. You heard me tell you, ‘I am going away and I will come back to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father; for the Father is greater than I. And now I have told you this before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe.”

(http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/050116.cfm)

This week’s spotlight

The Holy Spirit
The Holy Spirit is God, the third Person of the Trinity. He is the gift that God gives to believers. It is the Holy Spirit who helps us to pray, and to know Jesus better. Through baptism, the Holy Spirit leads and unites us, despite our differences, as the family of God, the Church. He teaches us to cry out to God as ''our Father", and makes it possible for us to love one another.

The Church and the church
The Church, with a capital C, means the group of all the Christians in the world who have been baptized and who believe in Jesus, the Son of God. The church, with a small c, means the building where Christians gather together for the Mass. When Christians are gathered in a church, they make up a part of the Church of Jesus Christ. The Church is the great family of Christians, no matter what nationality they are or what language they speak.

 Reflection

The peace of Christ
Did you ever wonder why we don't start the Mass with a sign of peace, instead of waiting almost until the end between the Our Father and communion? One of the reasons may be found in this Sunday's Gospel. The peace that Jesus gives to his friends, his peace, is not merely "getting along," or "not being angry" with one another. The peace of Christ is the peace that makes people brothers and sisters, that creates "communion" between children of the same Father. Giving one another the sign of peace, therefore, is actually a preparation for communion. We can't each receive the same Jesus in the Eucharist without also having communion with each other. It is through this peace that we form "one body and one spirit in Christ."
This peace doesn't erase or deny our differences; it celebrates them! We are so united in Jesus that we can still be different too! Christ's peace makes each person more himself, more special, more unique. At the end of the Mass, you are sent out "in the peace of Christ." Are you ready to get going, and to share the peace of Christ with others? Peace be with you!

Discussion questions

1.Where is Jesus going?
2.Who will be sent to help the disciples?
3.What gift does Jesus leave with his disciples?
4. How can you thank Jesus for the gift of peace?
5.How can you share Jesus’ gift of peace with others?

Praying after Communion

After receiving Holy Communion, you can say this prayer silently to yourself. If you have not yet received your First Communion, you can still say this prayer because of your desire to receive Jesus.
Father, through Jesus, in communion with the whole Church, I thank you for coming into my heart. Your Son has brought us peace and forgiveness through his death and resurrection. Help me to go forth from this Mass and share your gift of peace with everyone I meet. Bless all those who are working to bring peace to our world.

This week…

This week, try not to shout, fight, or argue. Let the peace of Christ live in your heart. You will see that this peace is contagious.

Offer a sign of peace
Is there something you do that bugs your family? Do you, for example, fail to put away your backpack, shoes, or bike? This week, decide to take better care of these things, so that everything is peaceful at home.

Word search



Source: http://www.usccb.org -  Magnifikid - www.sermons4kids.comhttp://www.loyolapress.com - http://usccb.org/bible/readings-audio.cfm