Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time -Year B



Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time

August 16, 2015

Gospel: Jn 6:51-58

Jesus said to the crowds: “I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh (1) for the life of the world.”
The Jews quarreled (2) among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man (3) and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me.
This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever.”

(http://usccb.org/bible/readings/081615.cfm)

The difficult words

(1) Flesh means body.
(2) To quarrel is to argue, understand that what they are doing is wrong.
(3) The Son of Man is another name for the Messiah, Jesus.

This week’s spotlight

The books of wisdom

There are seven books in the Old Testament that speak about wisdom: Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Wisdom, and Sirach. They are in the form of fables, tales, or proverbs. They explain how people should behave toward God their Father. The wisdom in these books was taught by God himself, because it was his Spirit who inspired the Jewish teachers who wrote these books.

The Elevation

At Mass, after the priest says, “This is my body which will be given up for you" over the bread, he lifts up the host and we look upon it, adoring Christ, whose body is now present. After saying, “This is the cup of my blood" over the chalice, the priest lifts it, too, and we adore Christ whose blood is present in the cup. We call this lifting up of the host and chalice the “elevation." At the end of the eucharistic prayer; the priest once again lifts up both of them together; praying, "Through him, with him, in him…”Jesus offers his body and blood in the Eucharist for our salvation. By looking upon him in adoration, we can offer ourselves to him at Mass with great love.

Reflection

Promised!

Listen carefully to this week’s Gospel. Jesus is making an amazing promise. He promises that whoever receives the Eucharist will have eternal life! Jesus promises to raise us up after we die, and to bring us to live for ever in heaven! How can Jesus make such a powerful promise? He can make it because he is God. He came to earth to feed us with the bread of life. Everyone who eats this bread will live for ever. Jesus gave up his body and blood on the cross, and he gives it to us at every Mass. It is very important for us to participate fully in the Mass, paying attention to the readings and prayers, and to prepare well for Holy Communion!

Discussion questions

1. What kind of bread does Jesus say he will give?
2. Where does this living bread come from?
3. What will this bread do for those who eat it?
4. What else does Jesus say about this bread?
5. What do you think Jesus is talking about?

Praying after Communion

After receiving Holy Communion, you can say this prayer silently to yourself. If you have not yet received your First Communion, you can still say this prayer because of your desire to receive Jesus.

Father, through Jesus, in communion with the whole Church, I thank you for coming into my heart. God, our Father; we thank you for the extraordinary promise made by your Son Jesus. May this communion with his body and his blood keep us in joy and help us to respond to this promise.

Crossword Puzzle




http://usccb.org/bible/readings-audio.cfm